Sunday, December 28, 2008

Losing a Friend

October cannot close out without paying tribute to my dear friend, Jen Long. Jen and her family moved to Superior from Florida around 2 years ago. I met Jen as she immediately became involved with our school's PTA of which I was President of then. Jen and her family then joined our church and we became friends along the way. About 6 months after their arrival to Colorado, Jen was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer. The next 18 months were filled with ups and downs and continued battles. She had a determination that was undescribable. The cancer continued to consume her and unfortunatley spread to areas that no longer could be treated. On October 30th in the early morning hours, Jen took her last breaths and went home. She fought to the very end for her family and friends.
I had the honor of being her friend. I enjoyed our phone calls, trips to the doctor and chemotherapy and visits to her home. She remains in my heart as an inspiration. Her determination, courage and postitive attitude are examples to live by. She is loved and missed by many.

0 comments: